The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Monday 10 November 2014

Remembering the Great War

In the town where I live, there is an old naval hospital. It was built by the British in the early years of the last century. Today, part of it is a boys’ school but the part at the rear is abandoned, run-down, eerily silent.
IMGP0068
I often go for walks in the grounds. The silent, vacant windows stare blindly at me. I wonder whether they’re still there, the ghosts of the soldiers of the Great War.
IMGP0071
Because they brought them here, you see, the shell-shocked and weary, the wounded and weak. From the trenches of the Dardanelles and Salonika; they brought them here to heal. They brought them here to die. And those that succumbed to their wounds were laid to rest on this rocky island, far, far away from home.
IMGP0070
One hundred years ago the world was in turmoil. The face of Europe  defaced by trenches that zig-zagged across it like open wounds; wounds that, despite the armistice four long years later, would not heal. Wounds that would spawn another, nastier, deadlier war. It was the end of the age of innocence. Life would never be the same again.
IMGP0073
It has been a poignant year. A year of commemorating the start of the Great War and the beginning of the end of the second World War. To those that fought, whether they lived or died, we owe much more than my simple tribute can ever express. We are forever indebted to their bravery and their sacrifice.
IMGP0083
*************************************************
During the Frist World War, Malta earned the title of Nurse of the Mediterranean when thousands of soldiers from the Gallipoli campaign were brought here to convalesce.
For the sake of historical accuracy, I would like to clarify that the hospital I mentioned in my opening paragraph was only partially completed during the First World War and it is debatable whether wounded soldiers were taken there during this conflict. However, the website of the Royal Army Medical Corps does mention that soldiers suffering from infectious diseases were treated there.
IMGP0072
Location: Sir David Bruce Royal Naval Hospital, Mtarfa, November 2014

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful post for today, it gave me the shivers. That d*** butchery...

    ReplyDelete
  2. An immensely apt Veteran's Day post, Loree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The building is LOVELY................I would wander too and think of who rested there.Thanks for the history lesson!Malta is a beautiful island...........from what I see through your eyes!XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was fascinated by this story, which you told so well, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such stoic looking buildings with a powerful job to do. Sad memories and a story which you tell beautifully and poignantly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely writing. At university, we're currently talking about the trench war. I still think that buildings or any other places of significance are like pages of books...just waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Loree, it was nice to see you visiting my blog. Yes it's been a while since I wrote on it and I am hoping to get 'back on track'. I loved your Veteran's Day post, great writing as usual, puts us all right in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Loree,
    Your account of both wars and Malta are fascinating. Great images too.
    Thanks for visiting and wishing you a weekend of joy

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. To walk in there must be creepy !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely tribute for the soldiers. The hospital building looks sturdy and handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Loree - so late catching up with this beautiful post. There is something very sad about this building. You are so correct because we can never repay those wonderful soldiers that lost their lives to protect our freedoms. Thank you for this wonderful reminder. As always your writing says it so well. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails