The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Thursday 6 August 2015

Memories of a summer trip

Well, here I am again after a rather long absence. In the past few weeks, we flew across the Atlantic and spent a lovely vacation in the land of quaint barns, wide open spaces and colossal cities – better known as the USA.
USA 2015 (3)
I used to think that there was not much difference between Western Europe and the States, yet with each passing visit I realise more acutely just how big those differences are. But it’s all good because variety is the spice of life. So no complaints from me – except that the grocery stores are too cold.
USA 2015 (1)[4]
Vacations pass way to quickly and we always come back with that niggling feeling that we didn’t quite do and see all that we had planned. And my husband will probably blame me for that. But I am not a typical tourist. I don’t mind if I don’t see everything as long as I have time to linger in a place. I am always a dreamer but that characteristic seems to surface even more when I am on holiday and enjoying myself. There is no sense in rushing around. ‘Savour the moment’ is my motto. Yet at the same time, it doesn’t make sense to travel thousands of  miles and see nothing at all. And then there’s the Mischief Maker who, at nine, has his own ideas of the places he would like to visit. So I suppose we try to reach a balance without driving each other insane.
USA 2015 (2)
So what did we do while we were there? We visited Washington DC, saw the monuments and tried to fit in as many museums as we could. We fell in love with a Space Shuttle. We rode a pedicab. We drove to the Ozark mountains and some of us fished (not me) while the rest of us lazed about (that would be me). We made friends with a dog called Shadow. We tried some Moonshine. We ate fresh blueberries for breakfast at a farm that was miles away from anything and anyone. We enjoyed special moments with family and old friends. We shopped (and shopped some more). We chased dragonflies. We had fun. We spent time together. We made memories. Because that’s what vacations are supposed to be about.
USA 2015 (4)
More on our trip next time. Hope you’re all having a wonderful summer.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Loree- looks like your vacation here in the USA was good. Smiled when I read that the grocery stores were too cold. Never paid attention to that fact but you make a good point. Such lovely photos. Hope the fish were biting good for hubby and Mischief Maker. Been to Washington DC but haven't made it to the Ozarks yet. On my bucket list though. Well have a wonderful weekend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time Debbie. And yes, they did catch some fish.

      Delete
  2. That sounds as if you and your men had wonderful holidays ! I think there is a huge difference between our life in Europe and the American way of life. I have been there many times and although it was in 1989-1994 the difference was there and now even more !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes life there is very different from Europe. We enjoyed our vacation a lot.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you had a great time and you've brought back fantastic memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of help with your memories Ciel :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous trip, Loree. I've never tried moonshine before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you. I like to stay in one place and soak it up. But it sounds like you had a pretty perfect balance to your trip :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails