The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Sunday 10 January 2016

2015 - A year of soul-searching

It’s the tenth of January. Ten days ago I opened my eyes and blinked a few times. In spite of all the hype and countdowns, the popping of champagne corks and the fireworks, a new year always takes me by surprise. In spite of the familiarity, there’s a certain novelty about it – like a new sweater from a much-loved brand. The old year is packed away, now nothing more than a stash of memories, most of which will slowly fade away like old photographs on someone’s wall. In the early morning silence I took some time to reflect on the most memorable moments of 2015.
Mtahleb (21)
Without a doubt I will forever remember it as the year that terrorism came back to Europe in two events that still haunt and anger me and which have left me with many questions and not too many answers. While messages of grief and solidarity flooded the internet, I could find no words that would make sense of my chaotic thoughts. In silence, I tried to come to terms with emotions that I couldn’t quite express. Time will dull the memory but Europe’s wounds will take time to heal.
Saint Elmo 029
On a more personal level, at the start of 2015, I jotted down a few resolutions in my journal: to read more, to write more, to take more photos on manual mode, to de-clutter. Some resolutions were easy to keep (like reading) but, despite my good intentions, last year was the least productive on the blog front. With only 26 posts, I only managed to average two posts per month – which is pitiful. There were several entries that I wrote and never published and I came close to quitting several times. But I’m still here so I don’t think you’ve heard the last from me yet.
Ghar Lapsi (32)
I spent many days during the past year lost in my thoughts and looking inwards. It was a year of more thinking and less talking, more reading and less writing. It was a year of soul-searching, of getting more in tune with my inner self. I hope that I found what I was looking for. So, here I am, at the start of 2016 wondering whether I still have anything relevant to say; toying with the idea of making a few changes here and there; and looking back on special moments.
As a family, we’ve continued our visits of historical places, including famous monuments in America’s capital, took a few boat trips along Malta’s coastline and hiked in some unspoilt areas of our countryside that are becoming rarer and rarer to find. As always, along the way we’ve made a few discoveries and came back richer with each new experience.
Harbour cruise (58)
 
For 2016 I hope and pray that no war clouds darken our horizons and that the world will finally fall in love with peace. As for myself, I hope that words will flow more easily and that I am surrounded by light. Not the natural light of which we have an overabundance, but an inner, more ephemeral light. So, as each one of us makes a decision about whether to walk sedately or skip gaily through the remainder of 2016, I trust that we will accomplish our dreams and cast webs of light that will drive out the darkness and connect us more closely together. Let us all do what we do best – find the extraordinary in the ordinary and beauty in the most unlikely places. I think I will make that my personal motto for 2016.
Ghar Lapsi (15)










24 comments:

  1. Dear Loree - you certainly have much to say. Your voice is needed. We all must pursue peace and hope that 2016 will bring it to the world. I am so thankful always for my visits here. Wishing you a great year. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie. I also hope 2016 will bring peace and hope to the world.

      Delete
  2. 2015 has been a year of tests and trials. I am hoping and praying that this year will be a year that we all stand for peace, healing and tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. I hope 2016 will bring you nothing but joy Kayni.

      Delete
  3. DON"t YOU DARE STOP writing!YOUR words are SO beautiful...........and your PHOTOS!!!!!!!!I do not have a word that is RIGHT for the color and richness they present.
    I like your MOTTO............it reminds me of me ,myself and I a wee tiny bit!
    I think of instagram as my daily dose of beauty to see what others have captured or what I want to remember............not so much my selfies but they are fun to look back on and say <"GOSH HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!"Meaning I have aged this past year................I would guess in 10 years I will think I still had some style left in me...............
    YOU give A LOT HERE..............of a tiny island that SHINES!
    Keep on doing what your doing and POST some of the POSTS you filed away without SHARING!
    HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being such a great fan and for your encouraging comments.

      Delete
  4. For me it's just another year and I have to get used to type 2016 ! There will be no changes probably, or at least I hope so. With this new kind of war we have to live with, my parents had a World war that's even worse. I try to look always to the bright side of life, otherwise I would hide in a hole !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that you always look on the bright side and that is why I enjoy your blog - because you make me smile.

      Delete
  5. Hello Loree, it has been such a pleasure for me reading your beautifully written words on the arrival of yet another year. As you say, if only "the world will finally fall in love with peace" it would become such a safe and lovely place for all. My 'word' for 2016 is HOPE - and I'm planning to do a lot of it.

    I will take more time to read back through your posts and view the scenery of Malta - a place which apparently packs so much variety into its small space! As I hope to visit there in 2017 if travel plans work out, I am looking forward to learning more about the island from your lovely blog - so don't give it up please! Many of us who've blogged for years get disillusioned at times. There are so many blogs around now, and other types of social platforms available, and we sometimes lose long time followers or feel new people don't find us anymore with so many choices - but I for one plan to keep on going and my ninth year is starting next month! I try to keep things interesting and post as often as possible - sometimes I have to play catch up when traveling and there is limited internet etc., but when I get home I eventually I get my pix organized and some words to share! Perhaps you can readdress those posts you didn't yet share - it's a shame to waste them!

    Anyway, I love that you have stopped by and commented and will be looking for you this new year.
    Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you are my newest follower and I hope you continue to enjoy my posts. Welcome.

      Delete
  6. I toy with the idea of discontinuing my blog as well - but I'm glad you're still here and sharing your own special light :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't discontinue your blog Leslie. I love your poetry. You have a wonderful gift.

      Delete
    2. Just stopping by again to thank you for your encouragement both here and on my blog. It is so appreciated :)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful words. Thank you
    I think 2015 was a year when I and many others thought about not blogging anymore. Relevant we are. Wounds and healing. Soul searching. This year will be better. It is better by just reading your blog and seeing your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is encouraging to read such beautiful comments from my blogging friends.

      Delete
  8. Your blog is always a joy, one in which you bring lots of hope, peace and a certain calmness. Your photos of Malta, and elsewhere, are a real treat so I do hope you will continue to share with us as often as you can. Please know that we are out here and we appreciate your presence and all of your words. Best wishes for 2016 and peace.
    Farm Gal in VA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, 2015 was a very hard year. I am so glad that you are still writing and truly think it is about the quality and not the quantity. When you write, it is always from the heart and never forced and I so appreciate that.
    Gros Bisous,
    H

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing for the same, that the world will fall in love with peace. Beautifully said, Loree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful and thoughtful post Loree. You really have a lovely way with words and it is a delight to read the writings of someone who thinks deeply and feels strongly about peace and beauty. I hope that 2016 reflects the gains you made from your soul-searching in 2015. I'm so pleased that you didn't stop blogging. May 2016 be a wonderful year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. I love all your photos too! Is that gorgeous pink flower an Erica? And is it native to Malta?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post, Loree. I'm glad you're still blogging. I also hope that as you said, the world will finally fall in love with peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails