The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Monday 15 June 2009

Sixth Wedding Anniversary

Today my husband and I celebrate our sixth wedding anniversary and I wanted to share with you some memories from that special day.
After my then-boyfriend proposed at Arches National Park in Moab, Utah (you can read about that particular adventure
here), we decided we would get married in Malta. So I came back home and started the wedding preparations, always keeping my future husband in the picture by constantly emailing updates, sending links to websites and scanning photos.

Hetti (my maid-of-honour) and I at my parents' house


The marriage ceremony took place at St Mary of Jesus Church in Rabat, Malta (my hometown). The foundation stone of the church was laid in 1492 and I thought it was an appropriate place to have the ceremony as 1492 was also the year that Columbus discovered the New World (my husband is American). The 15th of June 2003 was a blistering hot day with the temperature reaching 37 Celsius but the interior of the old church was cool. I chose to walk down the aisle on my dad’s arm to Beethoven’s “Ode To Joy” as it is a very uplifting and exuberant piece of music and one of my favourite classical pieces.
Church facade





Church interior

Just married :)

Our reception was at Villa Mdina, a 400 year old converted town-house in Naxxar. The charm of the place lies in its authentic features, the room with the ceiling murals and the large gardens.

Villa Mdina







Best friends

We had a totally great time visiting with friends and family, some of whom travelled from the US, Canada, Australia and the UK to attend the wedding. It was a day of special memories, spent with people who meant, and still mean, a lot to us. We had a morning wedding but it still passed way too quickly.
Best friends (again)


Cutting the cake



We chose Aerosmith’s ‘I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing’ as ‘our’ song, the song we danced to, just us two, remembering the times we had spent apart in different countries and thinking about the future we would be spending together. It was one of the happiest days of my life and the start of a future adventure (which we’re still discovering day by day). We spent our honeymoon in Rome and Florence and managed to squeeze in a day-trip to Pompeii.
Six years have really flown and they have been 6 very happy years, with all the ups and downs that marriage brings. We have grown together, cried together and laughed together and we now share our lives with a mischievous little 3 year old who is always up to something and whose cheeky smile warms up our heart even when we are tired or sad. Marriage has taught me that love does not always come easy; that there is an element of sacrifice involved; that, surprisingly, there are days when you just want to be by yourself and do your own thing. That, like all worth while things in this life, it takes work to make love grow and last for a lifetime.

12 comments:

  1. Loree:

    Thank you for the lovely comment. I have actually found some time this morning and thought I would visit a few of my favorite blogs.

    I certainly picked the perfect day to visit. I loved your wedding photos and your description of your special day, it made me wish I could have been there. The photo with the cake is so precious.

    Have a Wonderful Week!
    The Raggedy Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary to you and your husband!

    Very nice pictures that show good times..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to you and your husband. I hope you have many more years together.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary to the both of you! What a wonderful way to look back on such a special day. I'm so glad you shared all your photos. They are delightful.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary and many more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it was a wonderfl wedding and it's been a great 6 years. I thank you all for your wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 6th Anniversary! I know, time flies and we wonder. Many happy times of a lifetime to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay clearly I'm way behind in reading your blog since I've just now gotten around to saying: Happy Anniversary.

    Your wedding pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful! Everything looks so perfect, you must feel so blessed.

    Have many happy grey and wrinkly years together (eventually).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great piece Lorn! Too bad that Cris wasn't in our "Friends" photo. That is one thing I regret. But that is life. Too bad that we didn't do much this year to celebrate with Nanna's passing and all, but we did have a nice meal at least. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There actually is a need to remind those that are still gearing toward their wedding day, although it is important to consider wedding photography, Eolia Mansion wedding

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails