The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Sunday 12 July 2009

At the Water's Edge


It's summer and it's heating up fast. One of the things I really like to do on a hot summer's day is to take a trip to a sandy beach and, apart from swimming, I really like to sit and look at the water. Sometimes I just close my eyes and listen. I have a fascination with the sea, an obsession which is almost a love affair. Perhaps it comes from living on a very small island where the sea is never more than ten miles away. It's always there on the horizon - a band of intense blue delineating our boundaries. It gets claustrophobic, sometimes, living on such a small island. So, perhaps, that is why I dream so much when I'm at the water's edge.
For this water that surrounds me has the power to take me anywhere that I want. The waters of this sea washes onto the shores of so many different lands, so many different cultures. So I sit there and let my spirit roam over this ancient sea, feeling the blood of countless races rush through my veins and I start to feel it talk to me, telling me a story that started thousands of years ago when people first made a boat and started to explore. It's a bloody story for countless battles were waged on this sea. Thousands have died, their bleached bones scattered in the depths. It's a story of war and a story of peace. A story of empires rising and falling; of treasures lost and treasures found; of warships, cannons, swords and guns. Domination of this sea and of its surrounding shores has led to some of the greatest battles of all time being fought on its waters. Times have changed and peace now reigns over the once-troubled waters of the Mediterranean. The focus of power has shifted elsewhere and the people who live on its shores can only be glad that the warships and pirate ships are now replaced by ocean liners, luxury yachts and speed boats.
But the sea whispers to me that it is an uneasy peace. I sit there and continue to dream. For who can tell what the future holds? I hold my breath willing the sea to give up this mystery. But all I hear is the lapping noise of the waves and the sigh of the water as it breaks over the sharp rocks.

5 comments:

  1. I love to watch the sea too. There is something magnificent about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born by the sea, it flows through my veins too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sitting on the shoreline and watch the waves crashing in, feel the wind on my cheek, and just dream of anything and everything...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy Loree
    This was so beautiful.
    Lovely Photo !!!
    Listening to the water as it washes up on shore is one of my all time favorite things to do in life.
    Yes I too believe it talks to you ,if you are willing to listen:)
    I am so glad that you hear the voice of the waves telling you all it's ancient stories .
    Thank you for sharing this special gift that you have.
    I have tried to leave comments but some days blogger does not let me do that .
    Some days Blogger just doesn't let me do anything.
    Thank you for coming by to visit my blog so many people give up and never try again.
    Have a wonderful rest of the week.
    I really enjoy your blog it is so refreshing.
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it whispers more secrets in your ear, I want to know. I also want to live by the sea some day so it can whisper to me too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails