The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Friday 31 July 2009

More Than Friends


These are three of my best and oldest friends. We first met in pre-school at the age of 5 and were together for the rest of our school days. Secondary school ended when we were 16. It took a chance encounter in a super-market 21 years later for us all to meet again. You would think that on an island this tiny, we would have been bumping into each other all the time. But it was not to be. Now that we've met again we've agreed that we will not lose track of each other again.
It's hard to explain friendships like the one we have. It felt like 21 years had never passed; as if we had left school Friday night and were back together again after the weekend. It was that easy, picking up where we had left off. I am still amazed that we have such a strong bond. There used to be other girls in our group, and we have managed to meet up with some of them again, but not all friendships are for real. Some so called 'friends' no longer have a part in our lives. The change was too great. Our group always used to meet in the same place, in the little cranny in front of what we used to call the Blue Hall and in between the piano cubicles which the borders used to use in the 60s. Our school was in a 300 year-old building, full of these little places, where a group of friends could meet and share jokes and secrets, dreams and hopes. By some unwritten rule, that tiny area was ours during the last 3 years we were in secondary school. We would meet there every morning and those old walls must have heard a lot of teenage giggles.
Our school days passed and we each went our separate way to pursue our dreams. Thankfully, we were able to get back in touch. I am amazed at how many personal trials each one of us has had to go through and also at how much we have changed while remaining the same deep inside. It sounds like a contradiction but it is also true. There are few people outside my immediate family that I can be so open with. Few people with whom, after 21 years, I will be ready to talk to about some of my most personal issues. That is why these girls are more than friends. To me, each one of there girls is more like a sister.

9 comments:

  1. Great post, Loree! I have some close friends like this, but unlike you, we've lost touch of each other.

    Close friends like this will last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the past 15 years, I have been meeting once a month for breakfast with friends from grade school...we are all in our 60's. It was just 5 of us to start...now there is 10 or 12 sometimes...keeps you young!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, my very best friend died, 33yrs of friendship. I have 2 close friends from the age of 9, it is great to get to see them each year. Love your pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean. I have 8 girlfriends from my childhood who have remained my best buds. We have an annual reunion at my house and it is just like when we were kids.
    We all wait for that one weekend all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting to have your friends back in your life after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great to have such wonderful friends. Lucky you and lucky for them to have you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so blessed. I live far away from my early school-days friends and often wish I could see some of them to talk to. A girl always needs her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I'm off to look around your blog now. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howdy Loree
    This was an awesome post .
    I recently found a cousin I was close to as a little girl growing up than when we were 16 she was sent away ,my aunt died a week later and I never saw my cousin again .
    I took a chance on the internet and found her .
    We live far apart but have rekindled our girlhood closeness that will carry us through.
    I will be 50 years young on friday so that will tell you how long it has been since we have seen each other.We did exchange photos .
    Thank you for such an outstanding post today.
    You are always such a pleasure to visit.
    Blessings of joy to you.
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails