The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Wednesday Wanderings: The Barbican, The Hoe and Downtown Plymouth

Cornwall 496
There’s more to Plymouth than the Pilgrim Steps. The city has a long history which you can read about here. Its most glorious moment was probably the defeat of the Spanish Armada in 1588 by Sir Francis Drake. The entrance to the city’s harbour is guarded by a  fortified citadel on The Hoe (or high ground).
Cornwall 534
Cornwall 538Also on The Hoe is Smeaton’s Tower – a lighthouse that was dismantled and later rebuilt in its current location. It is open to the public and is worth a visit – if only for the unique experience of being inside a lighthouse. Another attraction on The Hoe is the Plymouth Eye, a 60 metre Ferris Wheel that offers a different perspective of the city.
Cornwall1
Cornwall 593
Cornwall 565
Lunch at Dutton’s, overlooking Plymouth Sound, is highly recommended; followed by a walk through Plymouth’s historical Barbican area.
Cornwall
We had a wonderful tour guide with us. My dad lived in Plymouth for about seven years and he walked us through the cobbled, winding streets of this old corner of the city. Interspersed among the many art galleries, vintage boutiques and novelty gift shops, are major attractions like the Elizabethan House and the Plymouth Gin Distillery.
Cornwall2-001
Cornwall3-001Cornwall 644
Before we left, the gutted remains of St John’s Cathedral served as a poignant reminder of the thousands that were killed during the last world war.
Cornwall 668
Location: The Hoe & The Barbican, Plymouth, Devon, UK
July 2012

7 comments:

  1. What an amazing place, and your wonderful photos took me along on your journey there. The Cathedral looked abandon?

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning! The architecture is fabulous. xoxo, B

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my home town, spent most of my life here until I moved to Malta. I was very lucky to have grown up in such a lovely part of the world. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of a lighthouse being dismantled and then rebuilt. That sets my imagination churning, Loree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loree - this looks like a beautiful place to visit. Sounds like you had the best guide for sure! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely message. Take care and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place ! I love these old lighthouses, there is one near Eastbourne at Seven Sisters, which had been moved ! Now everybody sees it better !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very picturesque... I envy people who live in cute towns.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails