The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Monday 31 December 2012

New Year’s Eve Reminiscing

USA 207
A year ago, we were driving back to my in-laws’ when we decided to stop in the little town of La Grange, Missouri. There, on the banks of the legendary Mississippi, we said good-bye to 2011. The sun was setting and the river water was still. It was a curiously mild evening and the only sound we could hear was the gravel crunching under our feet.
USA 208
From that day to this, I’ve discovered a bit more of the world and a lot more about myself. It is, perhaps, a well-known fact that the older we grow, the more comfortable we are in our own skins. This year I decided that I would sugar-coat my words less, and perhaps I’ve stepped on a few toes here and there when doing so, but I have felt better for being true to myself. No more needless anxiety about unvoiced opinions.
USA 209
On a less personal level, we were able to do something which we really love to do, which is travelling. As I said, we started the year in Missouri. In May we went to Sicily for a brief visit to our northern neighbour. I was struck by the similarities between the two islands but then, I should not have been so surprised. We shared a common history for hundreds of years after all. Seeing Sicily through the eyes of an adult was also an eye-opening experience.
USA 210
Another trip, in July, took us to the land of castles, cliffs and coves – Cornwall was a wonderful experience that I will not forget any time soon. I have a strange habit of falling in love with places and leaving a little fragment of my heart behind. Thankfully, there always seems to be a piece of my heart left to leave in one place or another.
USA 212
This year we will be bidding farewell to 2012 here at home, on the shores of the Mediterranean. The weather is mild, the water is calm and, across the harbour, the golden silhouettes of Fort St Elmo and Senglea Point are reflected in the sea below. If is a moment of reflection about the year that is fleeing away and the new one that is on the threshold. In the east, 2013 has been welcomed with fireworks and jubilant cheering. Over here, a few hours of reflection about the past and the future remain. As the dying year ebbs away, I wish you all  a wonderful 2013 filled with love, peace, joy and, above all, health.
December1
Location: The Mississippi River, La Grange (MO);
Senglea Point & Fort St Angelo from the Valletta Waterfront

15 comments:

  1. What a great way to look back over the year, with photos of places you've been. I also tend to leave a bit of myself behind in certain places and think of returning someday to soak up more of a place.

    Have a great warm new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to go back to the good memories made throughout the old year that is nearly over. It is best to remember the good times... always.
    Loree I wish you many new travels for 2013. Happy New year to you and your family.
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Loree - didn't realize that your in-laws lived in US in Mo. Beautiful pictures there and also where you live. Have really enjoyed getting to know you this year and am looking forward to all your new posts in the New Year. Have a Happy one my friend. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great summary of your year. Wishing you all the best in the new year, many more happy journeys and memories, good health, and always love.

    ~Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish happy years,with all my best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, another way we are similar dear Loree, leaving bits of our heart here and there. Hoping you joy, peace and yes, health but also adventure--and perhaps a trip to France! ;)
    Sending a warm hug your way,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful reflections in words and images. Wishing you and yours a healthy and happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'I have a strange habit of falling in love with places and leaving a little fragment of my heart behind. Thankfully, there always seems to be a piece of my heart left to leave in one place or another.'

    Wow, that was really pretty, Loree.

    Happy new year, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful images, loree. but i am most impressed by your resolutions for the new year. completely agree about being true to yourself - power and grace to you my friend - it is an important thing for us all to learn.

    with love,

    amanda
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for the late visit, and still wanting to wish you a glorious New Year! I like the second to the last photo..It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for the late visit, and still wanting to wish you a glorious New Year! I like the second to the last photo..It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a beautiful, reflective post
    may 2013 bring more travel, more inspiring words and captured memories xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been reading through your blog and I'm glad I found it. Your photos are wonderful. I've spent quite a bit of time traveling in the past year - some to Europe. I will be going back in June so I will be back here to learn more before I go again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails