The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Wednesday 23 November 2011

Wednesday Wanderings: Art Overdose At The Louvre

Paris - Lorna's Day 2 (45)-1
To say that the Louvre is huge is probably an understatement. Wikipedia describes it as ‘one of the world’s largest museums, the most visited art museum in the world’ and home to over 35000 works of art, ranging from pre-history to modern times. Entering the place as we did via a passageway from the Palais Royale-Musee de Louvre metro station did not  prepare us for the sheer size and magnificence of the place.
Darin's view of Paris - Day 2 (92)-1
We finally got to see works of art that we had only seen in books  - life-like sculptures, beautiful paintings, delicate glassware, and the list goes on … Here are just a few of my personal favourites:
Venus de Milo
Paris - Lorna's Day 2 (26)-1
Winged victory of Samothrace
Darin's view of Paris - Day 2 (24)-1
Canova’s Psyche Revived by Cupid’s Kiss
Paris - Lorna's Day 2 (27)-1
Da Vinci’s Mona  Lisa
Darin's view of Paris - Day 2 (57)-1
Darin's view of Paris - Day 2 (34)-1
What, to me, felt even more enchanting that seeing these masterpieces face to face was the thought that I was walking in the footsteps of the Sun King. It was easy to imagine Louis XIV with his impeccably curled wig, his rich clothes, his high heeled shoes and with hundreds of courtiers and ladies surrounding him, mincing his way across the marble floors of this sumptuous palace.
Paris - Lorna's Day 2 (21)-1
What I had a hard time coming to terms with was how people found their way around this enormous place. I kept wondering whether they used to carry a map, like I was doing. Or perhaps living in the same place, day in day out, ensured that they had no problems navigating their way around.
Darin's view of Paris - Day 2 (31)-1
Of course, Louis XIV considered the Louvre to be too small and dingy for his grand tastes, so he built the palace of Versailles. Which begs the question, how big, exactly, is Versailles?
Paris - Lorna's Day 2 (38)-1
After 4 hours of sheer art overdose, we decided that we couldn’t take anymore. It really is physically and mentally impossible to see the Louvre in a day. We exited through the Louvre Pyramid a structure built in 1988 to house the new visitor’s centre.
Paris - Lorna's Day 2 (41)-1
Architecturally, the Louvre is as imposing on the outside as it is on the inside. Even the grey clouds and rain that greeted us as we walked out could do nothing to dispel the sense of regality that the place exudes. It is sumptuous, over the top and majestic. A bit like its last royal owner, I suppose.
Paris - Lorna's Day 2 (43)-1

12 comments:

  1. thank you for letting me escape to these beautiful places, through your images and words. (i would get lost in that place, for sure!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. as amazing as the louvre is, there is only so much museum you can take in one day!

    happy thanksgiving to you and yours, dear loree♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange that you were allowed to take pictures !! I remember I was very disappointed about the Mona Lisa painting, it's such a tiny thing and that Pyramide in the middle of this beautiful building is just like a punch on the eye ! Doesn't fit at all !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Loree, what an absolutely magnificent place you got to enjoy there. It's so glorious to see. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see how you are integrating the blogs, now.

    I understand you need to set aside like a week to make it through the entire museum. I especially liked the image of Cupid's Kiss as I have just recently read the story of Cupid and Psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!
    I've never been there myself but my daughter has.
    Strange that you took pictures... my daughter said it wasn't allowed.
    I hope I will have the opportunity to visit the Louvre someday. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures with us.
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely tour. Thank your for such beauty ~ xox Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowww... What a wonderful post, Loree. I bow. Thank you so much...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too remember walking out through that pyramid and being completely exhausted and drained from seeing so much beauty. I couldn't believe my kids stayed inside as long as they did but it sure is a lot to absorb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was 16 when I first saw it. Amazing place. Love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous post...magnificent shots !!Wowness...thankyou!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails